[Discussion] Miswanting

Anne-Marie Mesa translate at ammesa.ca
Mon Nov 22 14:54:17 EST 2021

Rebonjour,

Après les papillons, me voici dans un texte sur le consentement éclairé.

J'ai de la difficulté à rendre « miswanting ». J'ai pensé à
désir/souhait erroné, mais cela ne convient pas. J'ai aussi pensé à «
vouloir à tort », mais ça se décline mal. Je suis à court d'idées.

    Miswanting

**

Errors in affective forecasting may lead to what Gilbert and Wilson have
dubbed */miswanting/*[24]. As they put it: “much unhappiness has less to
do with not getting what we want, and more to do with not wanting what
we like”. *Miswanting *highlights issues regarding the objectives of
medical decision making and informed consent. For example, when faced
with the possibility of having a colostomy, most people are willing to
trade away many years of life for a shorter life without a colostomy —
whereas those actually living with a colostomy have a much less negative
view of their quality of life[25]. Even more surprisingly, patients
whose colostomy has been since removed share a similar view with those
who have never had the intervention, suggesting that the former have
somehow “forgotten” how not-so-bad it had been to live with a
colostomy[25]. Indeed, much evidence supports how unreliable our
memories may be and how this may also contribute to *miswanting*: when
we recollect a past experience, we tend to focus on certain elements
(e.g., worst pain, physical limitation) while overlooking its overall
impact on well-being[26-28]. Current models of informed consent tend to
ignore issues of *miswanting*, as it seemingly undermines the core
principle of auto-determination. Yet, by acknowledging the associated
costs on well-being, these insights indicate how valuable it may be to
integrate considerations of *miswanting *in consent discussions
withpatients.